VMware® ThinApp™ is an agentless application virtualization solution that decouples applications from their underlying operating systems to eliminate application conﬂict and streamline application delivery and management. ThinApp simpliﬁes application virtualization and enables IT administrators to quickly deploy, eﬃciently manage, and upgrade applications without risk. With ThinApp, an entire Windows application and its settings can be packaged into a single executable and deployed to many diﬀerent Windows operating systems without imposing additional cost and complexity to the server or client.
Review of Key Features
Agentless Application Virtualization
- Agentless architecture—Designed for fast deployment and ease of management, ThinApp requires no agent
code on target devices.
- Complete application isolation—Package entire applications and their settings into a single executable that runs independently on any endpoint, allowing multiple versions or multiple applications to run on the same device without any conﬂict.
- Built-in security—Application packages run only in user mode, so end users have the freedom and ﬂexibility to run their preferred applications on locked-down PCs without compromising security.
Fast, Flexible Application Packaging
- Package once, deploy to many—Package an application once and deploy it to desktops or servers (physical
or virtual, 32- or 64-bit) running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Server 2008.
- Three-step Setup Capture—Use a three-step process for pre- and post-install system states to simplify application packaging and to support applications that require a reboot during the installation process.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 support—ThinApp now oﬀers complete support for virtualizing Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (IE 6), which makes it easy to virtualize and deploy IE 6 application packages to 32- and 64-bit Windows 7 desktops.
- ThinApp Converter—ThinApp works with VMware vSphere™, VMware ESX®, and VMware Workstation™ images to convert silently installed applications into ThinApp packages through a command-line interface that allows for automation of application conversion.
- Relink—Upgrade existing ThinApp executables to incorporate new ThinApp runtime features quickly and easily without the need for associated project ﬁles.
Fast, Flexible Application Delivery
- ThinDirect—ThinApp ThinDirect gives end users the ﬂexibility to seamlessly run IE 6 on Windows 7 desktops
alongside newer browsers such as IE 8, and allows the administrator to conﬁgure web pages with IE 6 dependencies to ensure that URLs always open in the right browser.
- Application Link—Conﬁgure relationships between virtualized applications, plug-ins, service packs, and even runtime environments such as Java and .NET.
- Application Sync—Automatically apply updates over the web to applications on unmanaged PCs and devices.
- Support for USB drives and thin clients—Deploy, maintain, and update applications on USB storage drives and thin client terminals.
- Microsoft Windows 7 support—Virtualize legacy applications that are supported on Windows 7 to 32- and 64-bit Windows 7 systems. Streamline migration to Windows 7 and avoid costly, time-consuming recoding and regression testing.
Seamless Integration with Existing Infrastructure
- Zero-footprint architecture—Plug ThinApp directly into existing IT tools without the need to add dedicated
hardware or backend databases.
- Integration with management tools—ThinApp creates standard MSI and EXE packages that can be delivered through existing application deployment tools from Microsoft, BMC, HP, CA, Novell, Symantec, LANDesk, and others.
- Support for Active Directory authentication—Add and remove ThinApp users from Active Directory groups, and prevent unauthorized users from executing ThinApp packages.
- Integrated application assignment in VMware View—ThinApp packages can be assigned to individual desktops or pools of desktops in View Manager to allow for streamlined application deployment.
Download File Size:59.08 MB